At Thomson and First Choice, we are committed to making travel experiences special by providing holidays that cause minimal environmental impact, respect the culture and people of destinations, and offer real economic benefit to local communities.
As part of this commitment, we want to engage a million children in sustainable travel. As well as educating children who come on holiday with us through our Kids’ Clubs, we’d like to help UK schools teach children how they can make a difference on holiday.
Ideal for the summer term, these fun and colourful activity sheets (with supporting teacher notes) will provide a window to the world for children without even leaving the classroom.
Each of the six activity sheets are supported by a film, images and sound effects. Use these together to bring sights and sounds from around the world into your classroom.
There’s also a fantastic interactive white board game to bring your lessons to life, an exciting competition and an assembly presentation to share with your pupils and fellow teachers.
Children can learn about everything from the flavours of Mexico to rainforests in Kenya, back to the beauty of our very own West Country. And of course we want our Eco-traveller programme to be as engaging and relevant for 7-14 year olds, and as such we work with National Schools Partnership to help pitch our content just right.
Play the Eco-traveller game to find out how much you know about looking after the planet when travelling.
In 2012, we asked children to design posters encouraging people to take care of the places they visit. The winner was Maisy Harradine.
She won £1000 for her school, Lea Church of England Primary in Herefordshire. They’re going to spend the prize money on Maisy’s Maze, which will become a hub for wildlife.
Maisy also won £2000 to spend on a family holiday with Thomson or First Choice.
On top of that, we gave out £500 to the school that came second and £2,650 worth of holiday vouchers to the pupils who designed the best posters.
Terms & Conditions – Eco-traveller 2014
1. This competition is open to primary school children in the UK aged between 6 and 14 years except for relatives of employees and members of National Schools Partnership and TUI Travel Plc Group of Companies.
2. Entries should be accompanied by a completed entry form signed by a parent or guardian.
3. Each child must obtain the permission of a parent or guardian before entering the competition.
4. The promoter of this competition is Thomson UK which is a trading name of TUI UK Ltd. TUI UK Limited is a member of the TUI Travel Plc Group of Companies, whose registered office is at TUI travel House, Crawley Business Quarter, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9QL. Registered in England and Wales under number 2830117.
5. The school’s first prize is booked through Travel Class Ltd. (the company) the registered office of which is TUI Travel House, Crawley Business Quarter Way, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex RH10 9QL.
6. The School prizes consist of: First prize – a residential class trip to Condover Hall. Second prize – £500 voucher for tools and materials to build/sustain an environmental/green space at the school. There will be two second prize winners.
7. The family/pupil prizes consist of: First prize - £1,000 voucher with Thomson or First Choice holidays which can be redeemed against a new booking of a Thomson or First Choice Mainstream Package Holiday subject to availability. The voucher will expire by June 2015. Second prize - an Apple iPad. There will be two second prize winners. Ten runners-up will receive a framed certificate. Winning entries may be used for publicity or promotional purposes, and the participants details will not be disclosed without prior consent.
8. No cash alternatives or other prizes will be substituted.
9. The family holiday must be attended by at least one adult so holiday vouchers can only be awarded to persons over the age of 18 years.
10. No refund will be provided if the holiday booked costs less than the cost of the holiday voucher provided.
11. It is the winners’ responsibility to check visa and passport requirements for any holiday destinations.
12. The competition will commence on 24th of February 2014. The closing date is the 19th of May 2014. All entries must be received by 23:59 on the 19th of May 2014 to be considered eligible.
13. Winners will be selected by a panel of judges that will include an independent member. The winner will be the entry that the judges consider to best promote eco-friendly travel. The judges’ decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into. Winners will be notified through the pupils’ school by the 13th of June 2014.
14. The first prize consists of a 4 night residential trip to Condover Hall, Shropshire, including full board accommodation for 30 children and accompanying teachers on a 1:8 ratio. The prize will include all activities as per the www.jca-adventure.co.uk website as well as insurance. Children will be accommodated in small dormitory rooms within the estate grounds, with teachers sharing furnished single and twin bedded rooms. The trip will need to be taken in March or April 2015. Travel to and from the site is not included.
15. All correspondence after the winner has been announced will go through JCA, National Schools Partnership and the winning individual school.
Holidays Forever, First Choice and Thomson are trading names of TUI UK Limited. Registered Office: TUI Travel House, Crawley Business Quarter, Fleming Way, Crawley, West Sussex, RH10 9QL. Registered No. 2830117